Every year, Prato recycles 22 thousand tons of “rags” that are processed by carding. Yarns are produced with virgin fibres or by recycling fabrics or knitwear, both new and used. The characteristic of this process is the use of short, heterogeneous fibres that are mixed together to create a variety of compositions.
An approximate calculation, based on these 20,000 tons compared to the equivalent of virgin fibre, gives estimated savings of:
- 60 million kilowatts of energy
- 500,000 cubic metres of water
- 650 tons of chemical products
- 300 tons of dyes.
In addition, the following emissions are avoided:
- 18,000 tons of carbon dioxide
- 1,000 tons of sulphur dioxide
(give proportions per kg)